- Perugia, Italy
- Program Type:
- Intensive Language
- Degree Level:
- 1-3 months, 4-6 months, 1 year
- Program Description:
Genuine Italian experiences with community engagement and experiential learning
The hilltop city of Perugia, located halfway between Rome and Florence, is a quintessential university town, offering scenic art and architecture and historical resonance at every turn. With Etruscan walls, cobblestoned streets, and medieval churches surrounding you, you’ll find yourself in a contemporary, bustling place with visible traces of the past.
The Umbra Institute, located on Perugia’s main piazza, adjacent to the duomo, is the only year-round independent American institute based in Perugia. The Institute maximizes the resources of its surroundings, by infusing community engagement and experiential learning into all of its programming.
As a student at Umbra, you’ll take courses which connect you to the surrounding community and foster a genuine Italian experience, whether you choose subjects with field-study components, an internship, volunteering, or a service learning opportunity.
Umbra Institute’s carefully designed curriculum offers a variety of options, from direct enrollment in local partner universities, to a focus on field research, an honors track, or a general studies option. You may take courses in either English or Italian, depending on your level of proficiency.
Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Here is a sampling:
- Amalfi Coast
- Film Series
- Roman Baths and Wine Vineyards in Viterbo
- and more...
Arcadia is a nationally recognized leader in higher education, offering exceptional study, research and internship experiences for students from colleges and universities across the US. Our unique combination of customized, diverse academic programming and comprehensive support allows students to explore new worlds, get to know themselves, boost their resumes for future job opportunities and graduate school, and experience the incredible growth and shifts in perspective that a culturally immersive experience can deliver.
- Setting Description:
- The Umbra Institute is located in the heart of Perugia in the 15th century Palazzo degli Oddi, a palace that is still owned to this day by descendants of Italian nobility. This spectacular palazzo is adorned with magnificent neoclassical paintings and frescoed ceilings. In addition to the Palazzo's Renaissance splendor, it is replete with modern resources and amenities including a library, computer labs with unlimited internet access, classrooms, and student lounge. Travel to fascinating places of interest that enhance your cultural immersion and give a meaningful context to your academic courses. Here is a sampling of Arcadia's Excursions - for a complete list, please visit our website. · Amalfi Coast · Film Festivals · Trip to Roman Baths and Wine Vineyards · Explore Agriturismo, Outdoor Markets, Food and Flavors · and more...
- See website for details. Scholarships available.
Additional Program Information
- 2.75 - Recommended 2.5 - For Consideration
- Scholarships Description:
- Every dollar helps! Check out different funding sources for study abroad - from Arcadia and other foundations...