Students visit the studios of cutting-edge designers, view exhibitions by emerging and established designers, and travel to design fairs throughout Italy and elsewhere in Europe. Instruction aims at stimulating growth and expanding consciousness by encour
- Florence, Italy
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year
- Program Description:
- SACI’s MFA in Communication Design program provides students with a unique opportunity to explore intensively and expand exponentially their personal practice through direct exposure to historical and contemporary 2D design approaches rooted in Europe and international in scope. Active participation and critical dialogue are fostered through frequent exchanges with SACI faculty members, visiting instructors, and guest lecturers.
Students visit the studios of cutting-edge designers, view exhibitions by emerging and established designers, and travel to design fairs throughout Italy and elsewhere in Europe. Instruction aims at stimulating growth and expanding consciousness by encouraging daily contact with the art of Tuscany, whether through viewing the masterpieces exhibited in its world-renowned museums or through immersion in Florence’s rich and colorful city life—dual and intertwined sources of fascination and inspiration for contemporary artists and designers. Students are encouraged to situate their own practice within this broad cultural panorama in ways that will equip them with essential career tools.
Their studio space is in a fully renovated Renaissance palazzo in the heart of Florence—the city that, during the Renaissance, revolutionized art and design and has since served as an inspiration and catalyst for generations of artists and designers. They explore the rich heritage of art masterpieces in Tuscany in order to gain a deep understanding of the roots of Western visual conventions, and they analyze how contemporary design approaches are employed to communicate worldwide diverse information about Italy’s renowned art, design, and culture.
- Setting Description:
- Classes are held on site and in SACI’s two landmark palazzi in Florence’s historic center. These fully renovated Renaissance buildings are a short walk from Florence’s renowned Uffizi, Bargello, Accademia, and Palazzo Pitti museums and a number of the world’s greatest libraries. See a list of libraries in Florence and information about the SACI Worthington Library. Students also have access as well to Florence’s new Museo Novecento, which has a notable collection of modern Italian art and is a few steps from SACI’s main building, and the Luigi Pecci Center for Contemporary Art in nearby Prato.
- Please visit website for more details.
Additional Program Information
- Scholarships Description:
- Study abroad is an investment in your future from which you will reap lifelong rewards. SACI makes every effort to make study abroad in Florence, Italy, an achievable goal for every student by offering a generous scholarship awards!