- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Program Type:
- Study Abroad
- Degree Level:
- Academic Year, Fall Semester, Spring Semester, Winter Semester
- Program Description:
Come explore San José with the bright urban center of a country filled with beautiful nature, kind people, and authentic cultural experiences!
Students who choose to study abroad in San José through API’s Multidisciplinary and Environmental Studies Program at the Universidad Veritas will complete a combination of intensive Spanish language courses and elective course offerings in English or Spanish. The number of Spanish language courses desired dictates how many elective courses students complete each term.
Don't know what level of Spanish language you'll be put into? Don't worry, all students will complete a Spanish placement test online prior to their departure to determine their Spanish level.
This program also offers an intensive language focus for students wishing to become immersed and push their Spanish language skills towards fluency. This program is offered in both the quarter and semester options. In combination with the intensive language courses, students generally select 1-2 elective courses.
The Universidad Veritas invites students to consider completing one of eight certificate options. If selected, students will complete select courses in a given area of study. A minimum of four electives in the subject area in question must be completed to earn the certificate. More information is available on the course information section.
The certificate option is best combined with a semester or academic year program.
- Setting Description:
- Located in the central valley of Costa Rica, San José is a vibrant urban center in the heart of a serene and beautiful nation. Three volcanoes surround the city, and quaint villages, farms and coffee plantations dot the hillsides. Though the metropolitan area is home to 36% of the nation’s population, one can easily explore the smaller central area of the city and discover its neighborhood markets and local restaurants. Cultural opportunities including theater, music, cinema and dance are also abundant in San José. Visit the Museo Nacional; the Museo de Oro Precolombino, with its sparkling collection of pre-Columbian gold; or the Museo de Jade, which boasts the world’s largest collection of jade.
- Pre-departure, On-site, and Re-entry services included, such as advising and online resources, airport reception, resident directors, housing, tuition, tutoring, medical & life insurance, excursions, social & cultural activities, alumni network, Learning and Engagement Badge Program and more!
Additional Program Information
- Minimum 2.6 G.P.A. Open to sophomores, juniors, and seniors No previous knowledge of Spanish is required, but one semester is recommended
- Scholarships Description:
- API awards approximately $500,000 in study abroad scholarships annually ranging from $250 -$1,000 per student.